Monday 24 October 2016

The Wood Workshop

The following are paragraphs and thoughts lifted from reports Grades 6 & 7 wrote following an educational visit.   Mrs Kirk

On Wednesday 28th September 2016 at around 8:15am grades 6+7 were invited to the Amano workshop. We all set off on our little adventure that took about 5 minutes to get to. When we arrived we greeted the carpenters: Mr Kelvin and Mr David.


Mr. David and Mr. Kelvin showed us everything they used to make their woodwork look so perfect, like the joiner, bevel machine, sander, planer and the circular saw. There were all types of beautiful woodwork furniture that they had already made like a bed and many chairs, but they were working on a luxurious door.

Everywhere you walked there was wood and sawdust. They showed us how they get rid of it, it’s really cool, there is a pipe that’s sucks it out and drops it outside.

It was really noisy because of all the machines. That is why they used ear plugs. It also had a strong wood and dust smell.

Despite the loud noise it was really interesting.


When we were done with our tour we were allowed to get off-cuts (scrap) and keep them. Some got big pieces of wood and halved them to share with others – I shared mine with Keysha. Others even sanded theirs to make them smooth, I was one of them.

After picking, all the G 6+7s were at a machine; some are sanding their off cuts to try to make it smooth, some use the bevel machine to make the edges smooth, others use the circular saw to cut the off cuts into thinner pieces and a few are by the planer to trim the off cuts.

But I had some other plans for my wood. I was going to carve my name out of it and decorate it and do different types of creative things like picture frames and many more things. I really liked it and I hope we can come back again.


The two men were very kind because even though they had work to do they still cut and sanded wood for us. 

We all had great fun, but sadly it couldn’t last forever. Eventually we had to go back to class, taking the bits and pieces we got as souvenirs to remember this life learning experience, I know that whenever I look at my pieces of wood I will remember today. We all hope to go back there again.  

It was over all too soon, but we had a good time and by the end most of us were inspired to become carpenters.

No comments:

Post a Comment