Monday 28 July 2014

Sports trips - a reflection

The rush of adrenaline; The fear of coming last; The slow motion of people around you; The heart’s untamed heartbeat, overruling all other sounds. The replayed thought of “just breathe” or “you can do it”. And then BANG! The run is hard. My lungs gasp for oxygen and my legs scream in pain, but my brain tells me to keep going…and then suddenly the finish line is behind me.
No-one who knew me in grade eight would have ever thought that I would be running and playing any sports for the ISAZ competitions. You see, I was fat, unfit and really had no skill in sports. In grade eight I went, though other students teased me about my weight, and soon I found myself running lap after lap each day after school…Soon my fat ‘turned’ into muscle and suddenly I passed the fitness test. A big shock for everyone. I realised that God had used my weakness and he had made me strong. With this in mind I started to work even harder. Not only running but working on skills too. I found that I enjoyed playing sports…and soon I found my-self going on sports trips first as a substitute but then as a main team player.


My first sports trip was nerve racking, and full of fears. But it was probably the most beneficial learning experience I went through. I learned that God is always there to help conquer fears. With each sports trip God gave me more confidence and my fears faded way.
The average sports trip became an event to look forward too. The bus trips are half the experience; sometimes starting our journey at 5:00am and travelling up to six/seven hours one way. On the way to our destination the bus is filled with laughter, jokes, loud music, sleep and lots of fun, but then nerves set in as we get closer to our destination. On the way back however all that is heard is snoring and the ever present smell of sweat fills the bus.


Because our school is small, one team plays all sports, which is good because we get the chance to gather more skills and our fitness and determination are tested. Not everything always went according to plan and we would get frustrated and argue with each other but that is all part of being a team and most times we were a good team and played well with each other. Usually we come back with bruises, twisted ankles and wrists, cuts or any other weird injury you could think of but even in the pain, the injuries are our trophies to show that we have done something, that we have given our best. Our netball team has come back with bronze medals and those fifteen minutes of fame are really worth it. Once again I thank God for his amazing strength. But the games and medals are only half the reason to go to sports trips. The new people that I meet or the old friendships that are strengthened are just like winning gold in a race. I am not as shy any more and more outgoing. The characters of others have both shown me what to do or what not to follow…even though sometimes I chose the wrong way and then had to learn the hard way.
One of my last sports trips was ISAZs Nationals Athletics. I came back with a smile, even if I did not get a medal. The thrill of running in a stadium and the laughs I shared with my friends made it a beautiful day. But if there is one thing that these sports trips have taught me it is that giving up is not an option. If you want to give God the Glory only your best is acceptable, and that is not only in sports, that goes for all areas in life.


Don’t forget that your weakness can be made a strength through God and He will help you through your hard times.

By: Elina Brunner (Grade 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment